- Attitude: whatever it takes to breathe, relax and move forward with math issues together with your student. Stress is “catching”. Tips for addressing math anxiety
- Tools: highlighters, graph paper, pencils, eraser, ruler, calculator
- Skills: knowledge of times tables, knowledge of time (seconds, minutes, hour, weeks in a year, months in a year), math vocabulary (more than, less than, etc.)
- Critical thinking about math: what makes sense? Look at the bigger picture.
- Organization: binder, math notes, uninterrupted time, comfortable work space
- Practice math: Use weekly grocery store ads, practice times tables, look for numbers and math in your own environment (temperature, gas prices per litre, paying 15% tax on the dollar, etc.)
- Math resources available from the YLC lending library. There are many other materials. Please come in and browse the shelves.
- Breakthrough to Math
- Jump Start
- Make Math Work
- Math Sense Smart Solutions (Math Sense-older version)
- Menu Math